Work-related mental health conditions (also known as psychological injuries) have become a major concern in Australian workplaces due to the negative impact on individual employees, and the costs associated with the long periods away from work that are typical of these claims.
According to Safe Work Australia, Each year:
The 2018 KPMG and Mental Health Australia report, Investing to Save, looked at the cost of mental ill-health in the workplace for Australian employers. The report found that, mental ill-health in the workplace costs an average of $3,200 per employee with mental illness, and up to $5,600 for employees with severe mental illness. Overall, it was estimated that the cost of workplace mental ill-health in Australia was $12.8 billion in 2015–16.
Work Safe Australia reported that, people who received compensation for a work-related mental health condition tend to be those who have high levels of interaction with other people, are often providing a public service and often doing their job in difficult and challenging circumstances.
At this time, the COVID-19 pandemic is adding an unprecedented amount of additional stress on our first responders, essential workers and front line employees. So, how does an employer ensure their employees remain resilient, well and able to work at their optimal levels through such challenging times?
The earlier an employee is identified as experiencing work-related stress, the sooner steps can be taken to prevent a work-related mental health condition developing or an existing condition worsening.
Centacare FNQ has developed a NEW cohesive employee wellbeing and resilience program that is flexible and responds rapidly to the needs of your organisation.
Reframe by Centacare FNQ takes a strategic approach to workplace health and reinforces employee satisfaction and engagement programs, which may already be in place.
During this uncertain time, we are really happy to be able to offer this service to businesses in our community who want to promote positive psychological, social and physical wellbeing in the workplace and enable your employees to thrive.
As a developmental program, Reframe is preventative in nature, and builds awareness around:
The program comprises of six distinct topics, each choice tailored to the unique requirements of your organisation.
1. Balance: A preventative, awareness building and individually tailored program, which aims to develop resilience in individuals, teams and organisations. A variety of training or education session/s are offered, which range from 30 minute team-briefing sessions to full day workshops.
2. Counselling: Formal one on one counselling sessions with a qualified counsellor, to support employee mental health and wellbeing. Counselling can address many different aspects of a person’s life experience which may be impacting their work and explore strategies, using therapeutic approaches tailored to each individual’s unique situation.
3. Debrief: A formal debriefing or mentoring session with a counsellor which addresses a particular experience or issue that may be impacting on their wellbeing in the working environment.
4. Have a Chat / Take 5: Sometimes we just need to talk things through to refocus. Take 5 provides an opportunity to talk about issues with someone independent of the organisation, in an informal, solution-focused session.
5. Critical Incident Response: Trauma counselling for individuals and groups, in response to a critical incident. These sessions may be offered onsite, online or offsite.
6. Mental Health First Aid (MHFA): Build resilience by equipping management and employees with new skills and understanding to improve workplace culture, by offering MHFA training as required with an accredited MHFA Trainer.
Call us on (07) 4044 0130 to discuss your needs or for more information about REFRAME by Centacare FNQ.